Importance of Social Media Advertising
Social media advertising is the practice of online advertising on social networking channels. It involves creating content on social media platforms, engaging with followers, and running social media advertisements. Currently, the major social media platforms are Facebook, Instagram, Twitter, LinkedIn, YouTube, Tik Tok, and Snapchat.
As there are over 300 million monthly active Social Media Users, these platforms are extremely beneficial for businesses trying to expand and make people aware of their brand. Social Media Ads are one of the quickest and most effective ways to connect with your target audience. Furthermore, it also provides plenty of profitable opportunities for businesses regardless of you being an e-commerce store or a service provider, and is a great way to boost your digital marketing campaigns.
Types of Social Media Ads:
Today, there are different types of social media ads for different sets of objectives. Although the list is infinite, let’s take a look at some common types of social media ads:
- Photo Ads: The internal data shows that Facebook’s photo-only ads can drive more unique traffic as compared to other types of ad formats. The process to create a photo ad is extremely simple, just create your photo ad in Facebook Business Manager or simply promote any image post from your Facebook page.
- Carousel Ads: Carousel Ads let you add up to 10 images or videos, each with their individual link, all in one ad. It works well when you want to show different features of a product or to explain a step-by-step process. Also, if the advertiser wishes to showcase multiple products or services, carousel ads are perfect for those.
- Slideshow Ads: The slideshow ad is an ad that creates a video from several static images. The images can be stock images by Facebook or your own uploaded ones. Slideshows offer the compelling motion of video but require no video-specific resources to create.
- Collection Ads: A collection ad format highlights your business products right in the Facebook feed. This type of ad includes a cover photo or video along with four smaller product images with pricing and other details.
- Stories Ads: In this portrait/full-screen ad format, photos display for 6 seconds whereas videos can last up to 22 seconds. As a matter of fact, one cannot select Facebook story ads directly as it is available as automatic placement when you create your ads for news feed or Instagram stories campaign.
- Shopping Ads: The shopping ads enable you to showcase your catalogue on social media as ads. There are eligibility criteria though but if you are eligible, creating a catalogue and setting up the shop is very easy.
- Video Ads: The Facebook video ads have a range of options like short video clips or looping videos to 241-minute promoted videos for the desktop. There is also an option to develop video ads that play within other videos or share 360-degree videos. With so many options available, one must be clear about the goals/objectives and select the most relevant video ad type to get the maximum conversions.
- IGTV Advertising: Users can advertise on the platform in-built inside Instagram itself, known as IGTV. Advertisers can upload long-form videos on this platform. These ads appear when the user has clicked over IGTV from their feed.
- Sponsored content (LinkedIn): Sponsored content ads by LinkedIn appear for both desktop users and mobile users. These ads are perfect for businesses who want to showcase their expertise in the industry and reach a larger group audience through the content. There are different options in LinkedIn sponsored content advertising like a single image, video, and even carousel ads. Advertisers can select any option according to their goals and audience.
- Text Ads: The text ads are small ad units that appear at the top and the right of the LinkedIn news feed. You can also put a thumbnail image of 50×50 pixels along with the text.
- Skippable in-stream ads: Skippable in-stream video ads are part of the YouTube platform and these types of ads automatically play before, in-between, or after every video. They also appear in other places in Google’s display network, such as apps or games.
- Non-Skippable YouTube Ads: Non-Skippable in-stream video ads are also a part of the YouTube platform. These are short ads that appear either at the start, mid-point, or end of a video. The ads are a maximum of 15 seconds long, and most importantly these ads can’t be skipped.
Why use Social Media Ads?
No matter the size of your business or your product offering, the majority of the target audience is on Social Media. Also connecting with your target audience can be easy if you are active on the channels that they use most often. Another benefit of marketing through social media is that it helps you improve visibility, and thus increase recognition for your brand.
Your social media profile is a platform of opportunities to share your ideas, thoughts, brand offering, and brand’s voice with your followers and potential audience. By posting relevant content that adds value for your target audience, you are making your brand both more available and forward for fresh leads and current clients.
Further, different social media channels help you reach specific audiences. Rather than creating a single message for everyone, you can design different campaigns and create unique content for different platforms. Moreover, social media ads can do a lot to assist the organic campaigns that you are running on your social media channels.
- Cost-effective method
- Improved brand loyalty
- Higher conversion rates
- Partner with influencers
- Increased inbound traffic
- Ability to uncover industry trends in real-time
- Comprehensive competitive analysis
- Higher customer and audience engagement
How does Social Media Advertising Works?
Social Media Advertising functions on the principles of social media optimization (SMO). To take full advantage of this digital marketing element you require thorough planning because even the most insignificant details can impact your campaign’s performance and reach. The most crucial part of social media that every business owner needs to understand is how ad targeting and bidding works. For instance, Facebook and Instagram ad platforms allow you to target particular users based on parameters such as age, demographics and interests. Before a Social Media campaign, an audit to assess your opportunities, targeting demographics and which products to promote, is necessary for the success of the campaign.
Another important aspect of social ads is bidding. Based on your bidding and budgeting, a social media platform like Facebook is more likely to serve your ads to the most relevant users. It is not necessary to set a budget manually, you can put it on automatic as well but that might result in a quick budget blowout.
No matter what business or industry you are in, social media advertising is one of the most efficient and effective ways to reach your target audience and turn them into customers. Additionally, no other marketing avenue can deliver such consistent and scalable leads as social media advertising.
As now more businesses are getting their hands on social media advertising, it is imperative to know the ins and outs of social media advertising to outperform your competitors in the industry. Now that you know the fundamentals and have basic knowledge of what social media marketing is, you can start assessing your current social media campaigns and stay ahead in the race. Also, remember to align your social media advertising goals and objectives correctly as this can help your business reach greater heights and deliver expected results.